Intensive Driving

Intensive Driving

Updated 15/03/04

Driving in the UK

L earning to drive starts with a CLICK

If  you have a valid full licence issued in the any EC country you can drive in the UK and do not need to exchange it immediately for a UK licence. If your licence remains valid you can drive in the UK until you are 70 or for 3 years after you have become a resident, whichever is the longer period.

You can also exchange your valid licence for a UK one if you come from any of the following  designated countries.

Australia Republic of Cyprus Kenya *** British Virgin Islands South Africa
Switzerland New Zealand Hong Kong Japan Barbados
Singapore Malta Gibraltar Canada Zimbabwe

If you hold a valid licence from one of the above countries you can exchange it for a UK one within 5 years after you come to live here.  Certain rules apply for Lorry and Bus licences.  From any other country not in any of the above categories you may drive here using your current full licence or International Driving Permit for up to 1 year. *** Exchange no longer applies.

Still not sure?  Then telephone the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (Tel: 0870 240 0009)

Click on this link for more detailed information about driving licences.

Driving in the UK on holiday?

Home New Areas 2004 Driving Test Show Me or Tell Me ADI Training Think! Intensive driving course? Weather Motor Insurance Elm School of Motoring Testimonials Please From the mouths of Data Protection Act! 2003 Golden Web Award Test report Traffic Signs Books on Line What you can expect Useful telephone numbers Driving in the UK FAQs. Learning to drive just got better! Quick Surf Tests My Pupils Quick Theory 1 Lessons Hazard Perception Hazard Perception Test Update I want to book lessons Stopping distances Intensive Location Theory: Paper 1 Fun! Need Help? Who am I?